Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving Eve!

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!! I have so much to be thankful for : )

Last Thanksgiving, I was with my wonderful Grandparents and great new friends on La Ganove where we celebrated over turkey and missionary stories.

Well I may be starting a new tradition because this is my second Thanksgiving on the mission field. Although this year, I'm contributing a little more. The Casa de Amor Volunteers are all pulling together to make an awesome dinner, USA style!

On Monday, I went shopping with Theresa, Maite's mother. The first time I baked something here (Peach Mousse and Cinnamon Rolls) I took the easy way out and went to one of the actual grocery stores around town. Big mistake. When I arrived home, Theresa assured me that it was MUCH cheaper in La Concha. I haven't written my post about La Concha, but don't worry, it's coming. ANYWAY, Theresa was kind enough to accompany me to La Concha on Monday to help me buy a myriad of things for our Thanksgiving feast. Considering there are some serious language barriers between Theresa and I, we had a lovely afternoon and I was able to get everything on my list!

I was able to buy:

A Ton of Carrots: 5 bs ($0.72)
A Ton of Potatoes: 10bs ($1.43)
Manteca (Shortening) 9bs ($1.29)
Manzanilla (apples) 10 bs ($1.43)
Duraznos (Peaches) 10bs ($1.43)
22 Cups of Harina (flour) 15bs ($2.14)
Mantequilla (Butter) 8.50bs ($1.21)

For a grand total of $9.65. Not bad considering I'm supplying the Mashed Potatoes, Carrots, dinner rolls, and 2 pies (apple and peach) for a Thanksgiving Dinner for 8 people!

This afternoon, (after Spanish school and a quick trip to the store for last minute supplies) Pauline and I cooked, baked and sampled our little hearts out. She turned out to be quite a little pastry chef, as you'll be able to see from the pictures of our lovely pies!

We had LOTS of fun, and after 3.5 hours and only one pan of slightly burnt rolls, we're able to relax!



Baking Bread. What a little home-maker I am.
My Rolls....pre-burnt.

Prepping the fruit.

I've never actually made a Peach Pie
But thanks to Pauline, at least it looks pretty! 



Hope you have a great day!

-Kaley

No comments:

Post a Comment